Monday, May 12, 2014

Life Is What You Make It

So many things have been happening lately!  I am totally okay with all of them, especially because I know that they are ALL part of my journey, but I feel like I should maybe lay some of them out here.

I haven't been going to the gym lately.  If I get there at all, its once a week.  I would like to climb back up on that wagon, but with the beautiful weather we finally have here in Wisconsin, I've been enjoying the outside world as much as I can.  But you know what?  I am still feeling fabulous!  I made a very important discovery fairly recently - the foods I eat have a direct effect on how I feel.  I know, WEIRD, huh?!  Who'da thunk that what you get out is in direct proportion to what you put in?  AMAZING! The days that I eat well, I have plenty of energy, and I can feel it vibrating through me.  In fact, one day I kind of accidentally skipped in the hallway at work for a step or two before I remembered that I am an adult woman, at WORK. 

On the flip side, when I eat junk food, I feel tired, sluggish and just all-around poor.  I never used to be so in tune to what I ate versus how I felt afterwards, but now that I am, I love that I can honestly say that I feel less compelled to give in to those hard-to-break cravings for crappy food.  I still eat it on occasion, but now that I know that my body actually suffers for it, it sure makes it less attractive to eat!

I have been working on eating "clean" (or at least a pretty high degree of "clean," everyone seems to have their own definition). I have been working on including more vegetables in our diet, especially at dinnertime, because breakfast is almost always a delicious, organic, whey protein shake and for lunch we typically eat leftovers from the night before.  So, dinner is my primary focus, and it makes my life much easier to only worry about one meal a day.

Anyway, this eating clean thing.  I have switched to whole grain pasta and leaner meats. Hard boiled eggs and vegetables have replaced chips and cookies as snack foods.  Vegetables make a nightly appearance, and you won't find a single prepackaged meal in my house.  However, there are a few things I haven't quite been able to come to terms with on the "clean wagon."  One of those things is stevia.  Many people have replaced sugar with stevia as they consider it "more natural."  Another thing is sour cream - Daisy sour cream (the full-fat kind, as fat is considered cleaner than low-fat) has one ingredient.  One. You know what that ingredient is?  Cream.  Bam, done, that's it.  So why would I need to replace that single ingredient item (that is oh so delicious on my favorite foods) with greek yogurt?  Seriously, if you know of a legitimate reason, let me know in the comments!

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:  I love food.  Like, seriously.  I could talk about it all day.  And I do, with the girl that sits next to me at work.  We talk about food, and grocery shopping, and now that its spring, most of our conversations lately have been about gardening (which reminds me, I got my garden put in this weekend! but I'll tell you about that in my next post).  Anyway, tonight's dinner was amazing.  I made Sun Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta in Garlic Cream Sauce, which I found on the website Julia's Album.  I made it just as the directions said and it was SO delicious!  I am not a big fan of changing a lot of components of a recipe the first time, so I try to keep things as close to the recipe as I can the first time around. I make exceptions on occasion (e.g. swapping white flour for wheat sometimes, or whatever I feel would make the recipe a little healthier without altering the dish too much).

Anyway, I strongly suggest you try this recipe!  I didn't take pictures of it, and I'm not even going to copy the recipe here, because I want Julia's Album to get the attention it deserves for this wonderful dish.  So go ahead, go check out the recipe by clicking this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment